Tuesday, October 18, 2016

What do you do when your puppy nips and bites you?

An all-to-familiar post on some of the Facebook Vizsla groups I belong to (this is NOT one of my owners):
"Need some advice. My sweet 15 week old gets into his zoomies mode and runs around me and jumps up to bite my leg. He only does this for up to a minute. But it hurts like no other. Any ideas on what to do when this happens or how to prevent it?"
Whenever a puppy becomes hyper stimulated, out of control and is nipping and biting the first thing to look at is how much structure and boundaries are in place. Have you ensured that he has stimulating appropriate activities when he is out of the crate? Is he getting enough crate time? 

Often too much unsupervised freedom is the root cause of an overly rangy, nipping biting pup.


Please prepare yourself for a Vizsla puppy by reading the entire Ultimate Puppy website, you won't be sorry!